This informational pamphlet details the responsibilities of federal, provincial, territorial and municipal governments in Canada to work toward the progressive realization of the right to housing.
- How the right to housing applies to all governments in Canada.
- Holding all governments accountable to their international human rights commitments.
- Using the National Housing Strategy Act as a model for implementing the right to housing within provincial, territorial and municipal governments.
- Using federal spending power to ensure national co-ordination and coherence to implement the right to housing.
- Encouraging inter-governmental collaboration and co-operation and through UN human rights mechanisms.
- Recommendations for all governments to uphold the right to housing
This pamphlet was produced by the Canadian Centre for Housing Rights (CCHR) – formerly known as CERA – and the National Right to Housing Network (NRHN).