The lack of affordable rental housing and the sharp rise in rents have become key issues in Alberta. On December 5, 2023, Alberta’s Housing Critic tabled a Private Members’ Bill to introduce temporary rent caps. Bill 205 represents a vital first step toward rent regulation in the province, and if implemented, can help keep Alberta’s renters in their homes.
Our Advocacy Toolkit for Bill 205 offers several actions that you can take to lend your voice in support of the bill and rent regulations in Alberta.
- Why rent regulation is needed in Alberta.
- Signing and starting petitions to the provincial government.
- Sending a formal letter of support for Bill 205. Read our letter of support here.
- How to participate in the public consultation.
See also: Our Tenant Leaders’ Toolbox
Inside the toolbox you’ll find:
- A toolkit on implementing the right to housing in Canada.
- Resources on a human rights-based approach to housing, empowering communities to claim this right, and how to target your advocacy.
- Guides on engaging with local, provincial and territorial governments, and how to make a submission to the Federal Housing Advocate.